Friday, January 8, 2010

Bento #1



Well here it is. I have finally stepped out of my comfort zone and am posting one of my bentos. I have made many bentos before but I never took any pictures of them till now. This bento is very simple. The larger compartment is filled with rice mixed with a little soy sauce and sautéed broccoli. The smaller part is filled with parmesan encrusted tilapia and tamagoyaki like rolled egg with dill and cheddar cheese.

With my very first posted bento I also want to give a thank you to the sites and their authors who helped me start my journey and have inspired me in my journey into bento making and Japanese cooking.

Just Bento and Just Hungry by Makiko Itoh
About.com Japanese Food by Setsuko Yoshizuka

Another source I have to credit is a book I found in the library Japanese Women Don’t Get Old or Fat by Naomi Moriyama and William Doyle. I found it interesting and very helpful during my beginnings into Japanese cooking.

10 comments:

Plain Chicken said...

Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love it! That parmesan crusted tilapia sounds great!

Marisa Lyn said...

Thanks Steph, I was nervous about posting. It's not the first bento I've done but it's the first one I've posted. They're usually only seen by me and my daughter. I'm glad you liked it.

Marisa Lyn said...

Susan, I found this tilapia at Sam's Club and It tastes really good. I do get fresh tilapia too but I like having this in my freezer for those days when I need a quick fix meal. I'm glad you liked my bento.

Bentobird said...

This looks excellent! Thank you for sharing--I love the parmesan crusted tilapia. I'm a fan of Naomi Moriyama's book--lots of savvy advice and authentic recipes!

Marisa Lyn said...

bentobird, Thanks for stopping by to see my first posted bento. As far as the book I love it because it was not as intimidating as others I found at the time. Thanks for your encouragement.

TayterCakes said...

Great bento! Can't wait to see more =)

mushima hawani said...

I've got nervous too when I post my first bento on the blog..;p Your bento is awesome..

Marisa Lyn said...

BentoBeginner, Thanks for stopping by and giving me your support. I have to try and remember now to take my time when making my bentos and take some pics to post up. This is the first one I've actually taken a pic of. More to come. ^_^

Marisa Lyn said...

mushima hawani, I'm glad you liked it. It's kind of hard putting yourself out there for the first time. I know it sounds corny but every one of them I make has a peice of me in it. Thanks for stopping by and for your encouragement. ^_^