Monday, February 15, 2010

I love oatmeal raisin cookies but even better than that are these loaded oatmeal cookies. Although I am able to make these kind of cookies from scratch sometimes I like to make them the semi homemade way. They came out Fantastic!


I began by using Jiffy Oatmeal Cookie mix. For those of you who don’t know. Jiffy is the product of the Chelsea Milling Company located in Chelsea, Michigan. The company was established in 1930 producing great baking mixes. The Oatmeal Cookie Mix is only one of 22 different mixes the company makes. I will introduce more of these mixes in later posts.

With this cookie mix as a base I added a store bought trail mix to the cookie mix. Using this cookie mix made it easy to customize these cookies to suit my own taste.


To begin combine the cookie mix, 1/4 cup butter (softened), 1 egg and 2/3 cup of trail mix and mix thoroughly. Drop teaspoon size amounts on a cookie sheet and bake at 350°. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.


The mix will yield between 18-20 cookies. Note I used my mini cupcake pan to make mine more cluster like. But you can make the cookies any size you want but know that the larger the cookies the smaller the yield.

These cookies can actually be made with any basic cookie mix but I have used Jiffy mixes for years and I love them. As well as being really great mixes they are also inexpensive. This mix only cost me .65¢ at my local Meijer store. If you are in an area that sells Jiffy mixes please try them out I think you will like them too.

These are the same cookies that can be seen in my Special Holiday Bento for Valentine’s Day.
Come back for more recipes using different Jiffy mixes.

Itadaki masu!

Jiffy Mix website: http://www.jiffymix.com/




6 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I have never seen this mix what a nice shortcut! They look fabulous!

Marisa Lyn said...

Hi Claudia, Yeah I think they are only regional but they have been around for so long I forget sometimes. I like keeping these mixes in the pantry. They are great and they are not expensive. I've made oatmeal cookies from scratch before but I was doing so much cooking for the bento for V-day that I needed a short cut.

Liren said...

Wow, I haven't seen this mix, either! This looks like my kind of cookie; I love all the mix-ins!

Marisa Lyn said...

Hi Liren, The mix is from a Michigan based company and I'm not sure where else in the US it is sold but I'm sure there are other inexpensive regional mixes that can be just as good for this quick and easy recipe and I just used a ready made trail mix. Thanks so much for stopping by and please come again.

Kim said...

Semi homemade is good! Until recently I've relied solely on cake and muffin box mixes...Jiffy box mixes being one of my favorites. I've tasted a few "made from scratch" cakes and I usually prefer the ones from a box. :)

These cookies look great. I've never even seen the oatmeal mix from Jiffy before. I'll have to look the next time I'm at the store.

Marisa Lyn said...

Hi Pocky, Wow your the first person who has come to my blog who has heard of Jiffy Mix. I grew up on it. My mom used it all the time. I lucked up and found the Oatmeal Cookie Mix in the Meijer near my house. If you go to thier site (link provided in the post) you can use the search to see if they have any of the mixes in your area. Only drawback is they only list Meijer and Kroger stores and I know Walmart and other stores sell the mixes too. Happy hunting.